|The Process Design, from the Outside site brings you the knowledge and capabilities from the Process and Power group at ECAD, Inc. As part of our contribution to the plant design industry, we provide tips, tricks and insight for maximizing your productivity. If you need training please feel free to check out training opportunities at any of our offices. We also can provide on-site services.|
- Plugin Plans and Upgrading to 2014
Several people have asked about migrating our existing products to 2014. In addition, we have some more plugins that are going to be coming available in the new Plant store.
Existing PDO Team Plugins
This applies to the plugins currently sold in our store:http://www.pdoteam.com/store/
PDO Extended Fields (1.0)
Iso Config XML
First, future plans. As the Create BOM functionality is included in Plant 3D Extension 1, we will not be updating or revising this plugin. However, below we will show a tip that you can use to allow it to run on 2014 (and higher) if you wish.
PDO Extended Fields is getting some updates to work with 2014 better, and we will be adding a couple more properties (I had a request for a weld length property). In addition, we now have a license manager which is integrated into this (and the rest of our Plant 3D store plugins). So the version that is going to be available in the Plant store will be PDO Extended Fields 2.0, and you will have to purchase that from the Plant Store. The xml tip below will work, but the To/From information in the PnIDs doesn’t work right in 2014, without the 2.0 version.
I haven’t decided what to do with the Iso Config XML editor, if I get requests, I’ll put it in the Plant Store, but for now, the xml edit will work to load it in 2014.
Loading the 2013 Plugins in 2014
Since there have been no major api changes a simple XML edit can be made. First locate the ApplicationPlugins folder and navigate to the plugin you wish to modify.
Plugins installed on a per user basis are stored in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\
Plugins installed for all users (and all app store plugins now) are saved in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\
Each *.bundle folder will have a file called PackageContents.xml which instructs AutoCAD on what to load and how to load it. Open the file in a text or xml editor:
Locate the value SeriesMax=”R19.0” This indicates that the highest version of AutoCAD to load the plugin is AutoCAD 2013. To allow 2014 to load it change the seriesMax to R19.1, and restart AutoCAD.
Right now in the approval queue, we have several plugins. The Assign Properties plugin has just been cleared, and the Rename Project plugin is available too.
A list of all of our plugins are available here:
The plugins in the queue right now are:
DataLink – a method for writing all the Plant 3D data to a Navisworks model.
Dynamic Parts – a way to place dynamic nipples in a model (so you don’t need to create a nipple for every size and end type).
Fix Connector Line Numbers – a fix that updates all connectors in a model (welds) to match the line number of surrounding components.
PDO Extended Fiels 2.0
Selection Lists – Export/Import Selection Lists to Excel, Link a column to a selection list value to display the description, use the Plant 3D spec list in PnID, and synchronize selection lists between Plant 3D and PnID (more articles and a video to come on this one).
We are also working on several other ideas, and we’d love to get your input!
- Instrument Bubbles on Isometrics in Plant 3DEvery now and then, an idea strikes when you go back and look at an old problem. This morning, a potential solution occurred to me as I was going through some old emails. Several clients have asked if they can have the instrument tag separated out in the instrument bubble on an isometric. Until I learned ...
- Connecting Plant 3D 2014 to VaultWhen connecting Plant 3d 2014 to Autodesk Vault, you may get an error like this: The issue is from Plant 3D 2014 working off of a different Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices than AutoCAD 2014. To resolve the issue, I copied the dll (Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.dll) from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014 (making a backup) to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\PLNT3D\. At that point, I was able ...
- Converting CADWorx to Plant 3DFor the last year, we have been working to streamline the process of converting a CADWorx model to Plant 3D. We are now at the point where we can take advantage of some in-house development tools for converting models. We are excited to announce that we can now convert CADWorx models to Plant 3D models! ...
- Selection ListsRecently we published a new plugin in the Autodesk Plant App Store: Selection Lists View all of our plugins here: ECAD Apps Here are the main features of the selection list plugin: Display the description of a selection list in a property Use a selection list in PnID and Plant (Selection list Sync) Export/Import selection lists to Excel for editing Import ...
- Off Page Connectors with PDO Extended FieldsIn our previous post, we discussed how to create a perfect line list. Today we will look at customizing our off page connectors to display the equipment to and from information. Overview We will create two styles (to and from) and custom blocks that display the to/from information. Creating the Symbols Go to project setup, and select the off ...
Here are our latest apps available in our store. Please visit our store for more information.
- Selection Lists
Recently we published a new plugin in the Autodesk Plant App Store: Selection Lists View all of our plugins here: ECAD Apps Here are the main features of the selection list plugin: Display the description of a selection list in a property Use a selection list in PnID and Plant (Selection list Sync) Export/Import
- Iso Configuration Editor
The Iso Configuration Editor allow editing the isoconfig.xml file associated with an isometric theme. The editor is a customized xml reader that makes it easy to see and change values in the xml file. Current AutoCAD Plant versions Supported: 2013 View Documentation: Blog Articles:
- Create BOM Plugin
Here are resource links for the Create BOM Plugin: Documentation: Change log: Known issues: Current AutoCAD Plant versions Supported: 2012 2013 Key Features: Creates a Bill of Material using an AutoCAD table Stores the Bill of Material in the orthographic drawing file Flexible tagging methods Tagging creates a default “BOM Tag” multi-leader style Tagging